Image by Rubbermaid Products
Today’s post is from Sara at A Joyful Mother.
Mamas are almost constantly on the go … from the minute they wake up until the minute their heads hit the pillow at night. Getting started quickly in the morning gives a jump-start to your day and can help things go a little more smoothly.
Here are three tips to help simplify your morning routine:
1) Figure out what works for you first thing in the morning
From the time my son was very young, I had so many people advising me to “wake up before baby wakes up” so that I would have time for myself.
I am not fully discrediting this statement … but I do know that it just doesn’t work for us! I treasure my sleep above quiet time in the morning, and my son would just wake up early with me if I tried. So I sleep until he wakes up … and have done it this way for 3 years now!
That doesn’t mean that waking before baby (or kids) won’t work for you! Instead of listening to what others tell you to do … find out how what makes your morning go smoothest. Does that mean waking an hour before everyone else? Then do so! Is your morning smoother with morning cuddles and dressing/washing/eating at the same time as your kids? Then go for it!
Knowing what works best for you will help you fall into a routine that helps mornings be more efficient.
2) Plan Ahead!
I suppose this goes without saying. But forgetting or choosing not to plan ahead can lead to disastrous mornings … as I’m sure most of us can testify to!
Ideas to plan ahead for the night before:
- Lay out all clothes for the next day, including socks and shoes and every accessory and detail you can think of. Every item you set out will be a minute you save the next day.
- Pack all lunches if you will be out. Pack your husband’s lunch if he works outside of the home.
- Plan ahead for breakfast … decide what you’ll feed everyone and soak grains, chop produce, etc.
- If you will be going somewhere earlier than you are used to, pack the car the night before.
3) Ditch Whatever Isn’t 100% Necessary
Mornings are precious around here. I can only do so much! Giving up unnecessary habits in the morning helped cut down our morning routine a lot.
Here are some ideas on what you can cut out in the mornings:
- Makeup (I realize this isn’t comfortable for a lot of women, but giving up makeup has given me a lot of freedom, both in time and in confidence. I make sure to clean my face and use natural products so I have a healthy skin tone, but 99% of the time I don’t wear makeup.)
- Breakfasts that save a lot of time (Easy doesn’t always have to mean unhealthy … you can find quick and healthy breakfast ideas here.)
- TV time (It certainly helps to let my 3 year old watch a short show in the mornings, but it would take up too much of my morning if I watched a show or the news. Try not watching TV in the mornings for a week or two and see how it goes!)
Mornings go by much too fast, but don’t let it go by without hugging your little (and big!) people, and starting the day with a smile and thankful attitude. By using the above tips and using practical thinking, mornings can happen smoothly and efficiently.
How do you help mornings go smoothly?
Sara of A Joyful Mother is a follower of Christ, married to a strong man with a leader’s soul, and Mama of a sweet little boy who is more like his Daddy every day. Sara is passionate about natural health and the vibrancy it brings, the powerful role of the stay at home Mama, Christianity, herbs, real food in all its deliciousness, and natural birth. You can find her at her blog, A Joyful Mother, writing about abiding in the home with joy (Psalm 113:9) and finding fulfillment in the little things Mamas do every day.PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.