What happens when you combine two of your most favorite things? Magic. At least, that’s been my experience using essential oils for CrossFit.
I’ve been using essential oils regularly for the last six years for cleaning, cooking and wellness. However, up until 16 months ago, I had little experience with using them for fitness.
When I started doing CrossFit in November of 2015, I quickly saw just how handy my essential oil collection would be. I’ve been able to put my oils to the test a lot and I’m glad to say they kick ass in this arena as well.
Here are a few ways you can use essential oils for CrossFit:
- Peppermint: So many ways to use this. Add two drops to your chocolate protein shake. Rub a drop on the back of your neck before you workout (it’s also cooling). Put a drop under your tongue. Add a drop to your Hydroflask. However you use it, you’ll like the natural boost of energy.
- Citrus Bliss blend: My favorite because it smells like a creamsicle. Rub a drop onto your wrists before your WOD so you can smell it throughout.
- Daily Nutrient Pack: Perfectly balanced multivitamin + high quality fish oil for Omega 3s. Nutrition is key for optimal performance and energy.
- Mito2Max: This supplement combines herbs and essential oils for a natural boost of energy minus caffeine and other questionable ingredients. Take two capsules 30-60 minutes before your WOD.
Soreness and Tension
- Deep Blue blend: I’ve heard physical therapists call this “Better Than BenGay.” It cools, soothes and relaxes like a boss. It also comes in several different forms – lotion/rub, bottle of oil, roller bottle and diluted roller bottle.
- Deep Blue Polyphenol Complex: How awesome is this stuff? It’s the difference between walking like a robot all weekend after 17.4 and just being slightly aware of your hamstrings. This is a supplement that combines potent polyphenols with frankincense extract for a very happy body. If you are/become a doTERRA member, be sure to ask me how to get this at a big discount.
- Frankincense: The King of Oils does a lot and is great for your skin. Use a drop when you tear up your hands. You can also add it to lotion to help get rid of bar hickies.
- Helichrysum: Mess up your hands with a lot of pull-ups? This is the oil you want. Just a drop will do. It’s pretty expensive, though, so if you want the same benefits plus some other great oils (frankincense, lavender, melaleuca), check out The Balm.
- Breathe: When Fran leaves you breathless, rub some of this on your chest.
- DigestZen: Red-line much? I do. That’s why I keep this blend in my gym bag. Put a drop under your tongue or rub a drop on your stomach.
- Peppermint: Works almost as well as DigestZen for upset stomach and you can use it in the same way.
- Lavender: Post-workout self-care is huge and one of the best ways to do that is with an epsom salt bath. Add some lavender for added relaxation. Try combining it with cardamom in these bath salts. You can also put a drop of lavender on your forehead before bed for a more restful night’s sleep.
- Melaleuca: This is a great purifier and works well for cleaning equipment. Add 10 drops to water in a 4 oz. spray bottle. You can also use it a drop or two straight on your toes if you get funky feet from sweaty socks.
- On Guard: This blend is awesome at cleaning and supporting your immune system. I like to use it to as a cleaner (see instructions for melaleuca) and immune system booster. Rub a drop on the back of your neck before you head to the box.
If you want a very handy balm that combines many of the oils above and addresses a lot of those issues, be sure to check out The Balm. It’s a huge hit at my box for rips, scrapes and as a muscle rub.